时间：2020-03-26 11:59:26本文内容及图片来源于读者投稿,如有侵权请联系xuexila888@qq.com 美婷 我要投稿
To many foreigners, the American word family is confusing. Foreigners often hear an American say "My family is coming to visit." In this sentence, family means grandparents and perhaps other relatives. However, at other times, the same American might say, "I'm going to stay home with my family this weekend." In this case, he is talking about his wife and children. This is a much narrower meaning than the first one. Using family in this way makes a foreigner wonder which term really describes an American family. The answer, of course, is that there are two meanings for the word family in the United States -- a narrow one and a broad one. And there is another term ---- immediate1 family ----- to describe something in between.
这一段中出现的过渡手法有两种：一种是过渡词或词组，如however, in this case, of course; 另一种是起过渡作用的代词，如this, one.
2. 过渡词语的分类 常用的过渡词根据意思和作用的不同，可以分为以下十一类：
1) 用以解释的过渡词，比如：now, in addition, for, in this case, furthermore, in fact
1. The problem, in this case, is hard to solve.
2. Furthermore, several people telephoned the same night.
2) 表示强调的过渡词，如：certainly, indeed, above all, surely, most important
1. Indeed, a dessert is always enjoyable.
2. Above all, do not build an open fire in a forest.
3) 表示限制的过渡词but, however, although, though, yet, except for
1. Yet there was still a chance that he would win.
2. Except for one girl, all the hikers returned.
4) 用以举例的过渡词for example, for instance, thus, such, next
1. For instance, a telegram often costs more than a telephone call.
2. Thus the trip finally began.
5) 表示递进或补充的过渡词in addition，furthermore，also，moreover，yet
1. In addition, the tour stops in Vancouver.
2. Furthermore, the time for registration2 has been extended.
6) 表达顺序的过渡词first, second, third, afterward(s)(后来), meanwhile(几乎同时),
thereafter(在那以后), last, finally, eventually(终于)
1. First, you mail in an application. Second, you ask for an appointment. Third, you send
them three personal references.
2. Then you come to a traffic light and turn right.
7) 用以表示比较的过渡词like, in the same way, similarly, equally important, too
1. In the same way, we look for a good doctor.
2. Similarly, the Thais enjoy spicy3 foods.
8) 用以表示对比的过渡词unlike, in contrast, whereas, on the other hand, instead
1. In contrast, the red fluid does not lose its color.
2. The husband wanted a boy, whereas the wife wanted a girl.
9) 表示让步的过渡词although, nevertheless, of curse, after all, clearly, still, yet
1. He planned, nevertheless, to ask for a promotion4.
2. After all, you learn to cook many foods in this job.
10) 用以表述结果的过渡词therefore, as a result, consequently,
then，thereby，therefore，thus，hence，accordingly, so, otherwise
1. As a result, she became the prince's bride.
2. Consequently, we opened an account at the bank.
11) 用以表示总结的过渡词to sum up, finally, in conclusion, at last, in short，in a word，in the long run，in summary
1. To sum up, Christmas is the most important holiday.
2. In conclusion, a consulate5 offers more services.